Authorities said a 9-year-old found a loaded handgun inside a closet before a younger child was shot during a family gathering.
HERNANDO COUNTY, Fla. — A 5-year-old boy was hospitalized after a 9-year-old relative accidentally fired a loaded 9 mm handgun inside a Florida home during a family gathering, according to the Hernando County Sheriff’s Office.
Deputies said the shooting happened while several children were playing inside the residence and adults were gathered elsewhere in the home. Investigators said the younger child was struck in the chest and taken by emergency crews to a nearby hospital, where he underwent surgery and was later listed in stable condition. Detectives are now reviewing how the firearm was stored, whether adults knew children had access to the room and if criminal charges tied to negligent firearm storage could be pursued after the investigation concludes.
According to investigators, the 9-year-old entered a bedroom closet while searching for Pokémon-themed pens and located the loaded handgun belonging to his father. Deputies said the child picked up the weapon and unintentionally discharged a single round that struck the younger boy nearby. Family members inside the residence immediately called 911 and attempted to help the injured child before paramedics arrived. First responders said several adults and children were inside the home at the time of the shooting, creating a chaotic scene as relatives tried to understand what had happened. Investigators later recovered the handgun from the bedroom and secured it as evidence. Detectives said the older child appeared distraught after the shooting and quickly alerted adults in the home once the gun discharged.
Authorities have not publicly identified either child because both are minors. Deputies also have not released the exact address of the residence or disclosed how many people attended the gathering. Investigators said forensic technicians photographed the bedroom and closet area while detectives interviewed adults who had been supervising children inside the home earlier in the day. Officials have not said whether the handgun was stored with a trigger lock or inside a secured container. The sheriff’s office said investigators are still determining how long the weapon had been accessible and whether any adults were aware children had entered the room before the shooting occurred. Neighbors told deputies they heard yelling shortly after the gunshot before emergency vehicles arrived outside the home.
The case renewed attention on accidental shootings involving children who gain access to unsecured firearms inside homes. Similar incidents have occurred across the United States when children discovered loaded guns in closets, nightstands, backpacks or vehicles while adults were elsewhere nearby. Public safety officials and child advocates have repeatedly warned that children often do not understand the risks associated with firearms and may mistake them for toys or harmless objects. Florida law allows prosecutors to file charges in certain cases involving negligent storage if minors gain access to firearms and cause injuries or deaths. Investigators in Hernando County said they are reviewing evidence and witness statements to determine whether any state firearm storage laws were violated in this case. Officials noted that accidental shootings involving children continue to be reported nationwide each year despite repeated safety campaigns and public awareness efforts.
Detectives said the investigation remains active and no arrests had been announced as of Friday. Authorities plan to submit evidence and witness statements to prosecutors after forensic testing and interviews are complete. Investigators said they still are examining how the firearm was left accessible inside the closet and whether children had previously entered the room unsupervised. Deputies also are reviewing whether adults present in the home followed legal storage requirements under Florida law. Officials said additional information could be released once prosecutors complete a review of the case and investigators finalize reports connected to the shooting. The sheriff’s office did not provide a timeline for possible charging decisions or future court proceedings.
Outside the residence, relatives gathered near patrol vehicles while investigators moved in and out of the home collecting evidence and documenting the scene. Several neighbors stood outside watching emergency crews respond as deputies blocked portions of the street for hours after the shooting. One nearby resident described hearing screams moments after the gunshot echoed through the neighborhood. Authorities said the 9-year-old cooperated with investigators and understood the seriousness of the incident after the younger child was injured. Deputies emphasized that the shooting appears to have been accidental, though detectives continue examining the circumstances surrounding how the loaded handgun was left accessible during a home gathering involving several children.
The sheriff’s office said detectives expect to complete witness interviews and evidence reviews in the coming days before forwarding the case to prosecutors. Officials said the injured child remained hospitalized in stable condition and further updates could be released as the investigation progresses.
Author note: Last updated May 18, 2026.