American Dead After Hot Tub Malfunctions at Resort

Puerto Penasco, Mexico – An American tourist tragically lost his life and his wife was severely injured while relaxing in a hot tub at a private Mexican resort on Tuesday. Authorities suspect the incident was caused by a malfunctioning device, possibly resulting in electrocution.

The 43-year-old man, identified only as Jorge G. from El Paso, Texas, was pronounced dead at the Sonoran Sea Resort in Puerto Penasco, according to the General Prosecutor’s Office for the State of Sonora. His wife, Lizette Z., was also present and suffered life-threatening injuries. She was immediately transported to the US and is currently in critical condition.

Preliminary investigations suggest that Lizette Z. may have suffered electric shock burns, potentially caused by faulty wiring in the hot tub, the General Prosecutor’s Office stated.

Witnesses, who were acquainted with the couple, reported seeing them motionless in the outdoor hot tub. When a bystander attempted to intervene, she too experienced an electrical shock, necessitating a call for assistance.

The cause of Jorge G.’s death has not yet been officially determined, as reported by the El Paso Times. Authorities are actively investigating the incident.

Sara Gaitan-Perez, an Arizona resident staying at the resort, recounted her efforts to aid the victims. Sadly, she discovered that Jorge G. had no pulse upon arrival. Gaitan-Perez also mentioned that her husband and son had used the same hot tub just an hour prior to the incident.

No statement has been provided by the resort at this time.