Man Executes Toddler During Heated Argument with Girlfriend

San Jose, California – A 24-year-old man is facing charges for the alleged murder of his girlfriend’s 3-year-old son. Sergio Colin-Gomez was arrested on Tuesday and is now charged with murder and assault on a child resulting in death. The victim, a young boy named Ivan Martinez-Alvarado, was reportedly shot at close range in the forehead.

The Santa Clara District Attorney, Jeff Rosen, expressed his deep sorrow and outrage over the tragic incident. While the legal process will take its course, Rosen emphasized that no legal action can replace the loss of a young child’s life. The focus now is on ensuring that the accused is unable to harm anyone else.

The incident came to light when the Santa Clara Police Department responded to a 911 call from an apartment complex on Poinciana Drive, approximately eight miles west of San Jose. The victim’s mother made the call, stating that her boyfriend had shot her child and fled the scene.

Upon arrival, police encountered Colin-Gomez walking on a nearby sidewalk. Although he initially cooperated with officers, he later resisted arrest and was eventually apprehended.

Police then entered the apartment and discovered Ivan lying on his bed with a gunshot wound to the forehead. A handgun was recovered from the scene, and Ivan was pronounced dead.

The victim’s mother, who is pregnant with Colin-Gomez’s child, told police that they were watching television when he entered the room around 11:15 p.m. An argument ensued concerning their relationship, with Colin-Gomez accusing her of infidelity. Despite the disagreement, they decided to continue their relationship and went to watch a movie in Colin-Gomez’s room.

According to the mother, about an hour into the movie, Colin-Gomez began demanding a definitive answer from her. Fearful, she locked herself and her son in the child’s room. Colin-Gomez allegedly broke down the door, left the room, and returned with a firearm. He continued insisting on an answer before the gun discharged, fatally shooting the child in the head.

Authorities revealed that as Colin-Gomez aimed the gun close to the child’s head, the mother attempted to disarm him, resulting in the fatal shot being fired. After the shooting, Colin-Gomez fled on foot and was later captured by responding officers.