Man Shot in Head Protecting His Sister From Sword Wielding Ex-Boyfriend

A Tennessee man was critically injured while attempting to protect his sister from an armed assailant on Sunday, according to local law enforcement. The suspect, identified as 43-year-old David J. Smith, was later apprehended and charged with attempted first-degree murder, two counts of aggravated assault, and aggravated burglary.

Upon arrival at the scene on Taggart Drive, police discovered the victim, Trevor Bennett, lying next to a vehicle in the street. Bennett was immediately transported to a nearby hospital where he received emergency treatment from a neurosurgeon. His current condition remains unknown.

Authorities were informed that Smith, the sister’s ex-boyfriend, had forcefully entered the residence wielding a sword, accusing her of infidelity. Bennett, in an attempt to defend his sister, confronted Smith with a firearm. However, Smith managed to disarm Bennett during the ensuing struggle.

A minor present at the scene, identified as the son of Smith and the woman, reported witnessing Smith shoot his uncle in the head. Bennett was also found to have sustained lacerations on his arms.

According to an affidavit, the incident occurred in the early hours of September 17. Bennett’s sister told officers that her brother was severely injured while trying to protect her from Smith, her former boyfriend. She also revealed that Smith had a history of violence and had been drinking prior to the incident.

Smith reportedly left the residence briefly, only to return with a katana, a type of samurai-style sword. The woman reported that Smith threatened her life, prompting her to call for help. Bennett responded, confronting Smith with a firearm. A child present at the scene recounted seeing Bennett push Smith out of the house, arguing continuously.

The child, after briefly assisting his mother, went outside where he saw Smith, lying on his back, shoot Bennett in the head. The child was unable to explain how Smith had obtained Bennett’s firearm. Smith then fled the scene but was apprehended by police the following day.