Authorities evacuated children and worshippers after reports of gunfire at one of Southern California’s largest mosques.
SAN DIEGO, Calif. — Police and emergency crews rushed to the Islamic Center of San Diego on Monday after reports of an active shooter at the mosque and school campus in the Clairemont neighborhood, prompting evacuations, road closures and a large tactical response that authorities later said had “neutralized” the threat.
The shooting unfolded at one of the largest Islamic centers in San Diego County, a campus that includes prayer facilities, classrooms and the Al Rashid School. Officials had not released a complete account of injuries or fatalities by late Monday afternoon, but authorities confirmed multiple reports of gunfire and said investigators were still securing the scene. The incident drew responses from local police, SWAT officers, state officials and federal agencies as families gathered at a reunification center and community leaders sought answers about what led to the attack.
San Diego police said the first emergency calls came shortly before noon Monday from the Islamic Center on Eckstrom Avenue in the Clairemont Mesa area, roughly 9 miles north of downtown San Diego. Officers arriving at the scene reported hearing or receiving reports of multiple shots fired, according to law enforcement statements released throughout the afternoon. Helicopter footage from local television stations showed dozens of police vehicles surrounding the white mosque complex while heavily armed officers moved through parking lots and nearby streets. Children were seen being escorted from the campus in lines as officers cleared buildings and searched the area. Authorities later announced that the situation was “active but contained” before saying the suspected shooter had been “neutralized.” Officials did not immediately explain whether the suspect was killed, taken into custody or wounded during the response. Mayor Todd Gloria said emergency personnel were “actively working to protect the community and secure the area.”
Investigators had not publicly identified a suspect or released a possible motive by Monday evening. Police also had not confirmed how many people may have been injured, though officers acknowledged that people had likely been shot during the incident. Emergency medical personnel staged ambulances nearby while hospitals in the region prepared for incoming patients. Authorities established a reunification center on Hathaway Street for relatives searching for family members who had been inside the mosque or school. Witness videos circulating online showed parents waiting behind police tape and children being guided away from the campus by officers and school staff. Some nearby schools and businesses temporarily locked down as a precaution while police conducted searches in surrounding blocks. San Diego police urged residents to avoid the Clairemont Mesa area as investigators worked through buildings and interviewed witnesses. Gov. Gavin Newsom’s office said the governor had been briefed and thanked first responders handling the emergency.
The Islamic Center of San Diego has long served as one of the region’s largest Muslim community institutions, hosting daily prayers, educational programs and interfaith outreach events. The campus includes the Al Rashid School, which offers Arabic language instruction and Islamic studies for children. The mosque sits in a mixed residential and commercial neighborhood that includes apartment complexes, restaurants and local businesses frequented by families from across San Diego County. Monday’s violence revived painful memories of earlier mass shootings in California, including the 2015 San Bernardino attack that reshaped active-shooter training and emergency response procedures throughout the state. Security concerns at houses of worship have also grown nationally in recent years following attacks targeting synagogues, churches and mosques. Community leaders in San Diego have regularly participated in local security coordination programs and outreach efforts intended to strengthen protection for religious institutions while maintaining public access for worshippers and students.
By late Monday, investigators from multiple agencies remained at the scene collecting evidence, documenting bullet impacts and reviewing surveillance footage from the mosque complex and nearby businesses. Police had not announced whether criminal charges would be filed or whether additional suspects were being sought. Officials said portions of the surrounding neighborhood would remain closed while detectives completed interviews and forensic work. Authorities were expected to hold additional briefings after families were notified and the initial investigation stabilized. Federal agencies, including the FBI, were reportedly coordinating with local law enforcement because of the possibility that the shooting could involve civil rights or terrorism-related investigative questions, though no official determination had been announced. Police also had not confirmed whether security personnel at the mosque exchanged gunfire with the suspect before officers arrived. Investigators were expected to release additional information about casualties, timelines and recovered weapons once the scene examination was complete.
Outside the mosque Monday afternoon, anxious families waited for updates as helicopters circled overhead and officers blocked nearby intersections with armored vehicles and patrol cars. Some worshippers who had escaped the campus described confusion and panic as gunfire erupted near the center. Others praised school staff and first responders for moving children away from danger quickly. “Everybody was just trying to get the kids out safely,” one witness told local television crews while standing behind police tape. Religious leaders from several faith communities issued statements condemning the violence and expressing support for families affected by the shooting. The Council on American-Islamic Relations called for prayers and solidarity as investigators worked to determine what happened. As evening approached, flashing police lights still lined nearby streets while officers continued moving in and out of the sprawling campus carrying evidence bags and tactical equipment.
Authorities said the investigation remained active Monday night and warned that casualty numbers and other details could change as officers completed searches and interviews. Police were expected to provide another update after investigators finished processing the scene and reunification efforts for families were completed.
Author note: Last updated May 18, 2026.