Brittanee Drexel, missing New York teen, found dead after 13 years in South Carolina; man charged with murder – CBS News
Brittanee Drexel was last seen walking between hotels in Myrtle Beach in April 2009 and was kidnapped by Raymond Moody, who raped and killed her.
Moody is a registered sex offender who was convicted of raping a child under the age of 14. He was also named a person of interest in the 2005 disappearance of Crystal Soles.
Investigators found the remains of Drexel in a wooded area west of Georgetown last week, and arrested Raymond Douglas Moody on obstruction of justice charges. He now faces additional charges of murder and kidnapping.
Moody’s arrest marked a departure from the FBI’s theory that Drexel was killed and thrown into an alligator-infested swamp after being gang-raped at a “stash house”.
Drexel’s body was found in Georgetown County, 35 miles down the coast from where she disappeared, after a flurry of tips and investigation that included Moody’s arrest on an obstruction of justice charge.
The sheriff, the police chief, the FBI agent, and the solicitor said little about what helped them crack the case.
Police said dental records backed up by DNA testing confirmed Drexel’s remains had been found last week. Her parents made another trip to the Myrtle Beach area this week and thanked all the investigators who worked to find her.
Amy Prock, chief of police in Myrtle Beach, said she never forgot the case of Drexel.
Drexel’s parents said they now hope to get “a pursuit for Brittanee’s justice”. Dawn Drexel and her family asked for privacy on May 16 so they could grieve. They will hold celebrations of Brittanee’s life in Rochester and Myrtle Beach at a later date.
Find more details about this mysterious case by checking out the news outlets listed below:
- Brittanee Drexel, missing New York teen, found dead after 13 years in South Carolina; man charged with murder CBS News
- Brittanee Drexel remains found; Raymond Moody charged in death Democrat & Chronicle
- Body of Brittanee Drexel, N.Y. Teen Who Vanished in 2009, Found in South Carolina — and Suspect Is Charged PEOPLE
- Brittanee Drexel remains found 13 years after disappearance in SC, suspect named Charleston Post Courier
- After 13 years, an arrest in Brittanee Drexel’s disappearance 13WHAM-TV
- View Full Coverage on Google News