Toddler Bitten by Poisonous Snake Hiking with Grandpa

Scottsdale, Arizona – A 3-year-old boy was bitten by a rattlesnake on Thursday morning, according to authorities. The incident occurred as the child and his grandfather were coming off the Granite Mountain trail in the Scottsdale Preserve.

The trail, located near 136th Street and Rio Verde Drive, is known for its population of unpredictable animals. The Scottsdale Fire Department arrived at the scene promptly, and paramedics transported the boy to a nearby hospital. The boy’s condition has been reported as stable.

Officials stress the importance of being cautious when encountering rattlesnakes in the Scottsdale Preserve. With the warmer weather luring reptiles out of hiding, visitors should not be surprised by their presence. To mitigate the risk of snake encounters, authorities recommend staying alert and aware at all times, sticking to designated trails, wearing long pants and boots, keeping dogs on leashes, and avoiding placing hands or feet in areas that are not visible.

In the event of a rattlesnake encounter, it is essential to leave the snake alone and gradually move away to establish a safe distance. Rattlesnakes are not known to give chase. Individuals in hiking areas should also warn others to ensure the safety of the community.

Should a rattlesnake bite occur, it is crucial to remain calm and seek medical assistance immediately. Scottsdale Fire advises immobilizing the affected extremity and keeping it positioned below the heart. It is also recommended to remove any jewelry or tight-fitting clothing to prevent complications from swelling.

This incident serves as a reminder of the potential dangers of encountering wildlife in natural areas, emphasizing the need for heightened vigilance and adherence to safety guidelines.