NEW YORK CITY – Authorities are investigating the heartbreaking deaths of 5-year-old twins who were found deceased inside their New York City apartment on Monday morning. According to police, the twins had been sick in the days prior to their deaths, prompting them to be kept home from school. As investigators search for answers, the tragic incident is being referred to as a “medical tragedy.”
While the investigation is ongoing, police have shared some details about the circumstances leading up to the deaths. The boy had been absent from school since November 30, after experiencing episodes of vomiting and cold symptoms. His sister had also been vomiting and showing signs of an ear infection.
In the early hours of Monday morning, the mother discovered her children vomiting in bed. She called for help when she found them in distress. Medical personnel arrived at the scene but were unable to save the twins, who were found foaming from the nose and mouth.
The mother, overwhelmed with grief, was taken to a hospital for emotional support. The father, who was at work during the incident, is fully cooperating with authorities as they investigate the tragic event. Initial findings suggest no physical trauma or drugs were involved, and carbon monoxide poisoning has been ruled out.
Authorities describe the family as “quiet” and “loving,” dispelling any assumptions of negligence or foul play. NYPD Chief of Detectives Joseph Kenny noted that the mother was actively engaged in her children’s medical care and education, suggesting a committed and responsible parenting approach.
Autopsy reports are still pending, but officials have described the case as a “medical tragedy.” The investigation is expected to shed light on the specific circumstances that led to the deaths of these young twins, providing closure for their grieving family and the local community.
As news of the tragic incident spreads, neighbors, friends, and the wider community are expressing their condolences and support for the devastated family. The heart-wrenching loss of these young children serves as a stark reminder of the fragility of life and the importance of cherishing every moment with loved ones.