1 Dead and 22 Injured After Shooting During Kansas City Chiefs Parade, 3 Suspects Arrested

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — Tragedy struck the Kansas City Chiefs’ Super Bowl parade on Wednesday afternoon when a shooting took place near the parade route, leaving one person dead and 22 others injured. The incident occurred just as the victory parade was concluding, attended by a massive crowd of fans.

According to the Kansas City Police Department, one person lost their life and 22 others sustained gunshot wounds. Among the injured, nine children were taken to Children’s Mercy Hospital Kansas City for treatment.

Lisa Lopez-Galvan, a devoted Chiefs fan and mother of two, tragically succumbed to her injuries during surgery, as confirmed by loved ones who spoke to the Kansas City Star.

Three individuals have been apprehended by law enforcement in connection with the shooting. Authorities have stressed that the incident is not linked to terrorism.

Expressing frustration at the tragedy, Kansas City Police Chief Stacey Graves emphasized the importance of maintaining a safe environment for those attending celebrations. Despite the presence of approximately 800 law enforcement officers, a few individuals were still able to carry out the shooting.

Videos shared on social media depict scenes of chaos as panicked crowds took cover, while police and military personnel swiftly responded to the unfolding situation. In one video, brave Chiefs fans tackled a possible gunman before authorities took them into custody.

The identities of the suspects involved in the shooting have yet to be disclosed, and investigations are ongoing. The Kansas City Chiefs organization, along with players and staff, have expressed their heartfelt condolences and offered prayers to the victims and their families.

Kansas City Mayor Quinton Lucas revealed that federal support has been offered to aid in the shooting investigation. Missouri Governor Mike Parsons and his wife were present at the parade but remained unharmed.

Union Station, a historic landmark serving as a museum and event center, was the location of the shooting. Mayor Lucas described the incident as a tragic and unexpected event that will forever remain in the city’s memory.