8-Year-Old Dies in Hotel Pool After it Malfunctions

Houston, Texas – An 8-year-old girl tragically lost her life over the weekend at a DoubleTree hotel after being pulled into a malfunctioning pipe in the hotel pool. The incident occurred while Aliyah Jaico was swimming with her family in the hotel’s “lazy river style” pool on Saturday.

The disappearance of Aliyah initially sparked a frantic search by her family, hotel staff, and local authorities. Texas EquuSearch, a search and rescue organization, was called in to assist in the search efforts. Initially, it was suspected that the young girl may have been abducted from the hotel, but a review of the hotel’s security footage revealed a haunting truth – she had gone underwater in the pool and never resurfaced.

A chilling turn of events occurred when Aliyah’s body was discovered in one of the pool’s pipes after the pool was drained and a camera was sent in for inspection. The search team inserted poles into the pipe, and they saw the heartbreaking sight of her little hand and part of her body. The fire department was immediately called back to the scene.

Tim Miller, the founder of Texas EquuSearch, explained that it appeared the pool’s pump was malfunctioning, causing an open pipe to suck water in instead of pushing it out. He speculated that the pump may have been wired incorrectly. Aliyah’s recovery was an emotional moment for the search team. The entire search and recovery operation lasted approximately 13 hours.

In response to the tragic incident, Aliyah’s family has filed a wrongful death lawsuit against the hotel and its parent companies, alleging gross negligence that ultimately led to the death of their child. They are seeking damages of over $1 million.

Swimming pool accidents, like this one, serve as a grim reminder of the potential dangers associated with these leisure facilities. In the past, similar incidents have resulted in the death of young children. In 2006, a 6-year-old girl suffered severe internal injuries due to a pool drain at a Minnesota golf club, and in 2007, a 6-year-old boy lost his life after his arm was sucked into a drainpipe at his family’s pool, possibly due to a missing safety grate.

The tragic death of Aliyah Jaico at the DoubleTree hotel pool in Houston highlights the need for increased awareness and attention to pool safety measures. Accidents like these call for thorough inspections and diligence in maintaining and operating pool equipment to prevent such devastating incidents from occurring in the future.