One person dead, six with life-threatening injuries after car driven into crowd in Berlin – CNN
A 29-year-old man drove into a crowd of people in a busy Berlin shopping district on Wednesday, killing a teacher and injuring many others. Fourteen high school students were among the injured.
The driver was detained by members of the public and arrested after ramming his car into a crowd, police said. The suspect is in the hospital and appears to be mentally impaired, police said.
John Barrowman, star of the show Doctor Who, said he witnessed the Berlin incident that left one victim dead and 6 with life-threatening injuries. He said that there were a lot of police and emergency services trying to help victims recover.
Police are investigating whether the shooting was deliberate or a tragic incident and the driver, a 29-year-old German man, was known to police with a confirmed history of mental illness.
The car drove into a crowd in the city’s most popular shopping district. The crime scene was next to the site where an extremist deliberately drove into a Christmas market in 2016, killing 13 people.
Berlin’s mayor thanked emergency services personnel for their quick response to the incident so that those injured could be treated effectively.
For more updates on this story, consider the following news outlets to stay in the know.
- One person dead, six with life-threatening injuries after car driven into crowd in Berlin CNN
- Fatal incident leaves several injured after car ploughs into crowd in Berlin – BBC News BBC News
- 1 dead, 8 injured after vehicle drives into crowd in Berlin, authorities say Fox News
- At least one person dead, several others hurt after car hits crowd in Berlin, Germany CBS News
- Berlin car crash: John Barrowman shares video from ‘horrible’ scene of incident that’s left one dead The Independent
- View Full Coverage on Google News