Spartanburg, South Carolina – An elderly couple tragically lost their lives in their home after the temperature of their heater soared to over 1,000 degrees. The heartbreaking incident unfolded when concerned family members requested a welfare check, only to discover the lifeless bodies of Joan Littlejohn, 84, and Glennwood Fowler, 82. As authorities investigate the circumstances surrounding this devastating event, the community is left grappling with the consequences of a severely overheated residence.
According to authorities, the temperature inside the residence surpassed an alarming 120 degrees, with the heater itself recording an astonishing 1,000 degrees. The victims’ body temperatures exceeded the maximum reading of 106 degrees registered by the measuring device used.
Family members who had visited their parents on January 3rd recounted their efforts to help with the malfunctioning heater. After encountering a pilot light issue with the hot water heater, they managed to reignite it by adjusting a wire. Satisfied with their progress, they departed, unaware of the impending tragedy that would befall their loved ones.
The extreme temperatures inside the couple’s home serve as a chilling reminder of the potential dangers that can arise from malfunctioning heating systems. With winter in full swing, ensuring the safety and proper maintenance of appliances becomes paramount.
In the wake of this heartbreaking incident, Spartanburg remains united in grief, seeking solace in the community’s support. As the investigation unfolds, the hope is that valuable lessons will be learned to prevent similar tragedies from occurring in the future.