Man Dies After Snake Bites Him at Daycare

Townsville, Queensland, Australia — A man tragically lost his life after being bitten by a venomous snake while attempting to save a family member in a suburb of Townsville, Queensland, on Tuesday. The incident occurred when Jerromy Brookes, 47, encountered an Eastern Brown Snake, the second most venomous snake globally, at a childcare center. Despite lacking experience as a professional snake catcher, Brookes took it upon himself to capture the snake and was bitten multiple times on his left arm.

Following the incident, Brookes drove back to his Deeragun home with the snake in a bag to inform his wife of what had transpired. In an effort to save his life, his wife bandaged his arm and performed CPR after he lost consciousness, according to the Queensland acting director of the Townsville district, Paula Marten. Paramedics were called to the scene shortly after, but Brookes had already gone into cardiac arrest. He was rushed to Townsville University Hospital in critical condition, where he ultimately succumbed to the snakebite later that evening.

The venom of the Eastern Brown Snake is neurotoxic, affecting the muscles, heart, and other organs. The Billabong Sanctuary Townsville, which monitors snake encounters, revealed that this species is responsible for most lethal snake bites in Australia and that incidents frequently occur when individuals attempt to kill or capture the reptiles.

Despite the tragic outcome of this incident, Brookes’ death marks the first Australian fatality from a snake bite in 2024. Snake bites are a common occurrence in the area, with the Queensland Ambulance Service reporting six recent cases within the last 48 hours.

As authorities continue to stress the importance of snake safety and response, it is vital for individuals to remain cautious and contact professionals when faced with potentially dangerous encounters.