Manhunt for Murder Suspect Accidentally Released from Indiana Jail

Indianapolis, IN – A murder suspect, who had been on the run for two years before his arrest, was mistakenly released from an Indiana jail due to a clerical error. Kevin Mason, 28, was set free just two days after his arrest, sparking a massive manhunt across the state.

Mason was apprehended in Indianapolis on September 11 on three separate warrants from Minnesota. These included charges for second-degree murder, parole violation, and firearms possession. The murder charge was linked to a fatal shooting in June 2021 in Minneapolis, which claimed the life of Dontevius Ahmad Catchings.

Mason’s unexpected release occurred when an inmate records clerk at the Adult Detention Center in Indianapolis mistakenly removed two holds on his file, believing they were duplicate bookings. The following day, another hold was lifted by Ramsey County in Minnesota, unaware of the previous day’s error, leading to Mason’s release.

Colonel James Martin of the Marion County Sheriff’s Office described the incident as a “critical error” during a press conference. He explained that each warrant had a unique ID number and case number, which should have prevented such a mistake. As a result of the blunder, two inmate records clerks were dismissed from the agency.

Authorities have been conducting an “around-the-clock manhunt” since Mason’s release. The U.S. Marshals Task Force and the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department are assisting in the search. Residents have been urged to report any sightings of Mason to Crime Stoppers or 911, but not to approach him.

Martin also revealed that the authorities initially kept Mason’s release quiet to maintain a “tactical advantage” in their search. He assured the public that efforts to recapture Mason will not cease until he is back in custody.

Mason is described as 5-foot-9, weighing 200 pounds, with distinctive tattoos including a cross under his left eye and ‘SUB’ on his chest.