Los Angeles, CA – The late actor Matthew Perry’s cause of death has been determined. According to multiple outlets, the report states that Perry died from acute effects of ketamine, a dissociative anesthetic with hallucinogenic properties. The autopsy also listed drowning, coronary artery disease, and buprenorphine effects as contributing factors in his accidental death.
Ketamine, as described by the US Drug Enforcement Administration, distorts perception, induces sedation, immobility, pain relief, and amnesia. Perry, who had reportedly been clean for 19 months, was undergoing ketamine infusion therapy, with his most recent treatment taking place just one and a half weeks before his death.
The autopsy revealed that the ketamine in his system at the time of death could not have been from the recent infusion therapy, as ketamine has a short half-life of 3 to 4 hours or less. The exact route of drug intake remains unknown. Perry was found in a residential pool, but no prescription medications or loose pills were found near or adjacent to the pool.
The coroner’s report indicates that Perry’s high levels of ketamine contributed to cardiovascular overstimulation and respiratory depression, with drowning occurring as he lapsed into unconsciousness. There were no signs of fatal trauma, and no foul play is suspected.
Matthew Perry, best known for his role as Chandler Bing on the 90s sitcom Friends, passed away at the age of 54 at his Los Angeles home. Perry had been open about his battle with addiction.
The tragic death of Matthew Perry sheds light on the dangers of addiction and the complex nature of recovery. As fans mourn the loss of a beloved actor, it serves as a reminder of the importance of understanding and compassionate support for those battling addiction.