Texas Man Accused of Fatally Stabbing Girlfriend and Her Puppy

A Houston man, Marques Kelvin Potts, 58, is facing murder charges following the fatal stabbing of his girlfriend, Melissa Fowler, 43, and her puppy on July 29. The incident took place at Fowler’s apartment on Sakowitz Street, as per a criminal complaint. Potts, who was on probation for a previous stabbing incident involving another woman, is now accused of a second, fatal stabbing.

Late on the night of the incident, a patrol officer reported a “stabbing murder” at apartment unit A202. Upon arrival, officers discovered Fowler’s body, which bore multiple stab wounds. The apartment manager, after reviewing security footage, identified Potts as the perpetrator.

The security footage revealed that Potts had forced his way into Fowler’s apartment around 6:30 p.m. using a hand tool. Fowler arrived home about 20 minutes later. The footage then showed Fowler falling out of her front door with multiple injuries to her chest, before being pulled back inside by Potts.

An apartment employee reported hearing a woman’s screams for help from unit A202. After knocking and receiving no response, the employee left, only to return later and find an older man cleaning what appeared to be blood. When questioned, the man allegedly responded, “I just whooped her a––.” The employee then left to call 911.

Fowler was found face down in a pool of blood, with multiple stab wounds in her back and chest. Her puppy was also found stabbed to death in her bathtub.

Paramedics pronounced Fowler dead at the scene. “At this time, it’s believed to be domestic violence,” Houston Police Department Lt. T. Davis told local media. Both Fowler and Potts were residents of the New Hope Housing complex where the murder took place.

The organization that owns the building expressed deep regret over the incident and pledged to work with the Houston Area Women’s Center to strengthen their ability to help residents in abusive situations.

Potts was arrested without incident and is currently being held in the Harris County Jail on $125,000 bail. His case has been transferred to another court due to his alleged probation violation.