Mariah Carey hit with $20M lawsuit over ‘All I Want For Christmas Is You’ – New York Post
Andy Stone claims he co-wrote and recorded a song called “All I Want For Christmas Is You” before Mariah recorded her famous version in 1994. Mariah claims Andy never sought permission to use the song’s title.
Stone wrote his version of the song with Vince Vance & the Valiants. A songwriter has sued Mariah Carey and Sony Music Entertainment for copyright infringement and misappropriation, claiming the defendants exploited his “popularity and unique style” and caused confusion by recording a new song without his permission.
The suit was filed in the US District Court of the Eastern District of Louisiana.
According to court documents, Carey and Afanasieff “knew, willfully and intentionally engaged in a campaign to infringe” on Stone’s copyright.
Carey’s Christmas song reached No. 1 on the Billboard Top 100 chart around the holiday in 2019 and 2020. It set Spotify’s most streamed track in 24 hours (female) record in 2019 and 2020.
Afanasieff and Carey wrote “All I Want for Christmas Is You” in just 15 minutes, and he said the song is so popular because it’s simple and palatable.
Carey’s song has been played on radio and in retail shopping environments during the holiday season, and has topped the Billboard Hot 100 chart every year since 2019. Stone’s song also appeared on charts during the 1993 Christmas season.
Consider the following news outlets to receive additional updates.
- Mariah Carey hit with $20M lawsuit over ‘All I Want For Christmas Is You’ New York Post
- Mariah Carey Sued Over ‘All I Want for Christmas Is You’ TMZ
- Mariah Carey is sued over ‘All I Want for Christmas Is You’ Yahoo News
- Mariah Carey Sued For “All I Want For Christmas Is You” By Louisiana Country Songwriter Deadline
- Mariah Carey faces $20m ‘All I Want for Christmas is You’ lawsuit The National
- View Full Coverage on Google News